ARMY TM 9-2805-257-14
AIR FORCE TO 38G2-103-2
NAVY NAVFAC P-8-612-14E
6-9. Camshaft, Camshaft Axle, and Tappets.
This task covers:
General Mechanics Tool Kit (Item 1, Appendix B)
Crankshaft removed (para. 6-8).
Puller, Kit Mechanical (NSN 5120-00-423-1596)
(Item 4, Appendix B)
Rags, Wiping (Item 6, Appendix D)
Solvent, Drycleaning (Item 7, Appendix D)
Seal, Camshaft Axle Plug (NSN 5330-00-797-4639)
a. Removal. (figure 6-6)
(1) Remove camshaft axle plug (1) and seal (2).
To remove the camshaft axle install a long screw, with the same thread size as one of the
screws that secures the oil pan, into the camshaft axle and remove the axle.
(2) Remove camshaft axle (3).
(3) Remove camshaft (4) and valve tappets (5).
(4) Remove C clip (6) from camshaft axle (3).
b. Inspection. (figure 6-6)
Drycleaning solvent PD-680 used to clean parts is potentially dangerous to personnel and
property. Avoid repeated and prolonged skin contact. Do not use near open flame or
excessive heat. Flash point of solvent is 100°F-138°F (38°C-60°C).
(1) Clean camshaft (4), camshaft axle (3), and valve tappets (5) in dry cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
(2) Inspect all components for signs of excessive wear and replace items that are worm or otherwise
damaged. Refer to Table 6-2 for wear limits.