ARMY TM 9-2805-258-14
AIR FORCE TO 38G2-89-21
NAVY NAVFAC P-8-614-14E
5-13. Timing Gear Cover.
This task covers:
a . R e m o v al
General Mechanics Tool Kit (Item 1, Appendix B)
Governor removed (para. 4-44) .
Magneto removed (para. 4-32).
Alternator removed (para. 4-52).
Breather tube removed (para. 4-18).
Rags, Wiping (Item 7, Appendix D)
Solvent, Drycleaning (Item 8, Appendix D)
Gasket, Timing Gear Cover Mounting
a. R e m o v a l (figure 5 - 7 )
(1) Tag and disconnect wiring from oil pressure transmitter (1).
(2) Loosen fitting nut (2) and tag and remove oil line (3).
(3) Loosen fitting nut (4) and tag and remove oil line (5).
(4) Remove screw (6), washer (7), and nut (8) securing oil filler tube bracket (9).
(5) Remove assembled screw and washer (10).
(6) Remove eight assembled screws and washers (11) and remove timing gear cover (12) and gasket (13).
W A R N I NG
Drycleaning solvent P-D-680, or P-S-661, used to clean parts is potentially dangerous to
personnel and properly. Avoid repeated and prolonged skin contact. Do not use near
open flame or excessive heat. Flash point of solvent is 100°F.-138°F. (38°C.-6O°C.).
(7) Clean timing gear cover (12) with drycleaning solvent, and dry thoroughly.
N O TE
If timing gear cover is replaced, oil pressure transmitter, studs, tachometer adapter, air
breather reed and support must be transferred to new timing gear cover.
(8) Inspect timing gear cover (12) and replace cover if cracked or otherwise damaged.
(9) Inspect oil seal (14) and replace if torn or otherwise damaged. (See para. 5-14.)
5 - 1 6