ARMY TM 9-2805-258-14
AIR FORCE TO 38G2-89-21
NAVY NAVFAC P-8-614-14E
5-20. Valve Tappets.
This task covers:
General Mechanics Tool Kit (Item 1, Appendix B)
Top cover removed (para. 4-21).
Rockers removed (para. 5-18)
Rags, Wiping (Item 7, Appendix D)
Solvent, Drycleaning (Item 8, Appendix D)
a. R e m o v a l (figure 5-18)
N O TE
The following procedures are the same for all valve tappets.
(1) Remove two spring spring clamps (1) and remove retainer plate (2).
(2) Remove pushrod (3) and pushrod housing (4).
(3) Remove preformed packing (5) and remove valve tappet (6).
W A R N I N G
Drycleaning solvent PD-680 used to clean parts is potentially dangerous to personnel and
property. Avoid repeated and prolonged skin contact. Do not use near open flame or
excessive heat. Flash point of solvent is 100°F.-138°F. (38°C.-6O°C.).
(4) Clean valve tappet (6) in drycleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
(5) Inspect valve tappet (6) and replace if worn or otherwise damaged. Refer to Table 5-2 for wear limits.
Installation. (figure 5-18)
(1) Install valve tappet (6) and preformed packing (5).
(2) Install pushrod housing (4) and pushrod (3).
(3) Install retainer plate (2) and secure with two spring clamps (1).
5 - 3 6