4-28. ENGINE LOWER FRONT COVER REPLACEMENT (Cent)
(1) Clean front cover and inspect sealing and
that would prevent proper sealing.
(2) Check inside of spacer and crankshaft for
in circular motion.
mating surfaces for cracks, nicks, and damage
burrs and nicks. Clean up burrs using crocus cloth
(3) Inspect spacer ring for nicks or burrs that would prevent proper sealing.
(1) Support outer face of front cover (9)
on two wooden blocks and drive seal
(13) out with a soft drift. Discard seal.
(2) Clean seal bore.
If new oil seal is not precoated,
apply nonhardening sealant to outer
edge of metal casing.
Position seal (13) in front cover (9)
with seal lip pointed toward inner face
Drive seal in
with seal installation tool
Affix gasket (12) to inner face of front
Install dirt deflector (11 ) onto
crankshaft with flat surface toward
Coat lip of oil seal lightly with grease
or vegetable shortening.