4-35. CRANKSHAFT MAINTENANCE (Cont.)
Maximum clearance between
connecting rod journal and bearing
shell is 0.0045 inch (with new
shells). Maximum clearance
between main bearing journal and
bearing shell is 0.0055 inch (with
new shells). Main bearing journal
taper must not exceed 0.0006 inch
or out of round must not be greater
than 0.0005 inch. Replace
crankshaft if measurements exceed
(4) Measure all main and connecting rod
bearing journals. Measure journals at
several places on circumference so
that taper (calculated from two end
outside diameter measurements of
journal), out of round, and bearing
clearances can be determined.
Measurements should be accurate to
nearest 0.0002 inch.
(5) Measure crankshaft thrust surfaces at points A and B. Dimension A must be 1.499 to 1.501
inches and dimension B must be 1.915 to 1.925 inches.
(1) Install four pipe plugs (18) into crankshaft (14). Torque plugs to 10-12 Ib-ft (14-16 N-m).
(2) Position gear (13) on rear end of crankshaft (14) with bolt holes in gear alined with tapped
holes in crankshaft. One bolt hole is offset so gear can be attached in only one position.
Install six bolts (12) through gear and into crankshaft. Torque bolts to 35-39 lb-ft (47-53 N-m).
(3) Install spacer ring (17), with beveled side toward main bearing cap, and woodruff key (16) on
front of crankshaft. install oil pump driving gear ( 5) with chamfer toward main bearing cap
and slide gear on shaft and over woodruff key. Install gear tight against spacer ring (17).