4-35. CRANKSHAFT MAINTENANCE (Cont)
(7) Install two stabilizer plates (3) on rear main bearing caps.
(8) Apply a small quantity of international Compound No. 2, or equivalent to main bearing bolt
threads and bolt head contact area. Install six main bearing bolts (5) and six flat washers (6)
to front bearing caps and four main bearing bolts (4) and four flat washers (6) to rear bearing
caps. Rear bolts (4) go through stabilizer plates (3). Draw bolts up snug.
(9) Install three bolts (1) and three flat washers (2) securing stabilizer plates (3) to cylinder block.
Finger tighten bolts.
(10) Strike main bearing caps sharply with a soft-headed hammer to seat them properly. Starting
with center bearing cap bolts and working alternately towards both ends of block, torque
main bearing bolts to 45-55 Ib-ft (61-75 N-m). Turn all bolts, except two rear main bearing
bolts, an additional 110-130 degrees of bolt head rotation.
(11 ) Strike both ends of crankshaft two or three sharp blows with soft-headed hammer to insure
proper positioning of rear main bearing cap in block saddle. Turn two rear main bearing cap
bolts an additional 110-130 degrees of bolt head rotation.
(12) Tighten three stabilizer plate bolts (1) to 70-75 Ib-ft (95-102 N-m) torque.