ENGINE LOW IDLE ABNORMAL OPERATION
MALFUNCTION 1: (Continued)
Low idle speed, below 650 rpm.
c. (Continued) One bank not firing.
(2) Check inlet filter (watchdog) on fuel
injection pump (TM9-2910-212-34 & P).
Low-idle speed erratic (unsteady or surge).
a. Idle speed too low.
(1) Adjust idle speed (WP 0043, Throttle
b. Accelerator or throttle linkage loose, worn,
(1) Inspect linkage (WP 0122, Throttle Control
or cross-shaft shock spring defective.
and Manual Fuel Shutoff Replace/Repair).
(WP 0123 for 2DR)
c. One or more cylinders partially firing.
(1) Refer to WP 0020, Fuel System Abnormal
(Water or air in fuel system).
d. Injector nozzles defective.
(1) Remove and check nozzles (WP 0114, Fuel
Injector Nozzle Replace/Repair).
e. Fuel-injection pump governor defective.
(1) Replace defective fuel-injection pump
(WP 0115, Fuel Injection Pump Assembly
f. Fuel injection-pump improperly timed.
(1) Check timing (WP 0036, Injection Pump
Misfires at idle (usually accompanied by white exhaust smoke, oily or heavy carbon deposits
on exhaust grilles).
a. Engine operating at idle for extended period
(1) Increase engine idle speed to 1000 - 1200
during cold weather.
END OF WORK PACKAGE
WP 0009 00-2