ENGINE ROUGH OPERATION
THIS WORK PACKAGE COVERS:
Troubleshooting Table and Diagnostic Tests
General mechanic's tool kit (item 121, WP 0176)
Track Vehicle Repairer (2) 63H10
Engine installed in vehicle or ground hop.
Engine misfires (more noticeable at idle operation).
a. Water contaminated fuel.
(1) Check fuel for water (WP 0020, Fuel
System Abnormal Conditions).
b. Engine operating at idle for extended period
(1) Increase engine idle speed to 1000 - 1200
during cold weather.
c. Fuel leak, nozzle high-pressure tube.
(1) Inspect for leak (WP 0020, Fuel System
d. Fuel injector nozzle defective.
(1) Refer to WP 0114, Fuel Injector Nozzle
e. No valve rocker clearance.
(1) Locate faulty cylinder as follows:
Open grilles, remove top deck, engine shroud, and covers for access
Operate engine at idle.
Listen or use sounding rod to determine
Location of noise
isolates faulty cylinder.
WP 0014 00-1