STANDARD MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS
General Repair Information
Procedures for repair will be the same for most engine and container parts. Standard repair
instructions are detailed in this section. Special repair procedures are covered in the procedural
work package relating to the specific part. The tools and expendable materials needed to perform
standard repair instructions will be identified in the initial setup part of the procedural work
After repair, clean all parts thoroughly to prevent metal chips,
resulting from repair operations or abrasive used in repair
operations, from entering working parts of engine.
See TM 9-214 (Inspection, Care, and Maintenance of Antifriction Bearings) for inspection and
maintenance procedures for roller bearings, needle roller bearings, and ball bearings.
1. Replace all galled, pitted, or damaged bearings.
2. Replace all bearings that do not conform to tolerances specified in the appropriate Repair
Standards table in the inspection section of the procedural work package.
3. Replace any bearing if defects are found.
Bushings, Liners, and Bushing-Type Bearings
When bushings, liners, and bushing-type bearings are damaged or worn beyond specified
limits, generally the associated parts with which they are used must be replaced.
1. Drill out bearing retaining pins used to secure bearings in castings or retaining cages when
2. Press out bushing or bushing-type bearing with suitable arbor press (item 8, WP 0176).
1. Align bushing, liner, or bushing-type bearing in casting or retaining cage. Press into place
with an arbor press (item 8, WP 0176).
2. Select proper drill size for installation of bearing retaining pins. Drill through bearing and into
casting or retaining cage to the proper depth so that the pin will be flush with the bearing
surface after installation. Drive retaining pin through bearing and into casting or retaining
cage. Cut off any portion of the pin that extends above bearing.
3. Ream or burnish bushing, liner, or bushing-type bearing to size specified in appropriate repair
standards table in the inspection section of the procedural work package.
4. Clean repaired parts thoroughly before assembly or installation.
WP 0028 00-14