(3) To determine length, add right and left dial indicators (noting plus and minus readings) and divide by two.
This gives amount that rod is shorter or longer than master rod.
(4) Length must be no longer than master rod or no more than 0.002 in. (0.050 mm) shorter.
(5) To determine bend, subtract smaller indicator reading from larger (again noting plus and minus readings).
(6) Bend must not exceed 0.004 in. (0.101 mm) without bushing o 0.0015 in. (0.0381 mm) with bushing
(7) Measure rod twist with a feeler gage between piston pin and dial holding fixture.
(8) If rod does not contain piston pin bushing, twist must not exceed 0.007 in. (0.177 mm).
(9) If bushing is installed, twist must not exceed 0.004 in. (0.101 mm).
(10) Discard rods which do not meet length, bend, and twist specifications.
l. Check bolts, bolt holes, and bolt pads.
(1) Measure rod cap bolts diameter and pilot diameter.
(2) Discard bolt(s) if smallest diameter is less than 0.540 in. (13.716 mm).
(3) Discard bolt(s) if pilot diameter of bolt is less than 0.6242 in. (15.846 mm).
(4) Discard bolts with distorted threads.
(5) Check rod bolt hole pilot inside diameter in rod and cap.