b. Install valves.
(1) Dip valve stems in clean engine oil.
(2) Insert valve into guide.
PROTECT HEAD SEALING SURFACE AGAINST MARRING OF FINISH.
GASKET LEAKAGE MAY OCCUR.
(3) Place head on bench face down.
If oversize valve guides were installed, it may be necessary to ream valve spring
retainers to 0.768 0.773 in. (19.51 19.63 mm) to accommodate oversize guides.
(4) Place lower valve spring seat over valve guide.
Spacers should be used under valve spring when seat insert and valve have been
reground more than a total of 0.030 in. (0.76 mm). A minimum of two spacers may
(5) Place spacer(s) (if used) on lower spring seat.
(6) Place spring and upper spring seat in position.