(4) Check socket wear of push tube with ball end of new rocker lever adjusting screw or 1/2 in. (12.70 mm)
(a) Coat adjusting screw with Prussian bluing.
(b) Insert screw into tube socket then remove screw.
(c) Check blue pattern in socket.
(d) Replace tube if pattern does not cover at least 80 percent of socket seat area.
AN EXCESSIVELY WORN TUBE SOCKET OR BALL OR A BENT OR OUT-OF-
ROUND TUBE WILL RESULT IN LOSS OF OIL PRESSURE AND MAY CREATE
INCORRECT INJECTOR OR VALVE TIMING. NEW PUSH TUBES SHOULD BE USED
ANYTIME NEW CAM FOLLOWER INSERTS ARE INSTALLED.
Bent push tubes are usually a result of over-torqued adjusting screws.
(5) Check for bent push tubes.
(6) Discard tubes bent out-of-round more than 0.035 in. (0.89 mm) when located in centers of socket and ball.
(7) Shake tubes to see if oil has leaked into them.
(8) Replace tubes if internal leakage noted.
b. Wipe tubes clean.