b. Inspect oil pan.
(1) Check oil pan for evidence of leaks. If leak suspected, check by using dye penetrant crack detection kit.
(a) Spray suspected area with dye penetrant.
(b) Allow penetrant to dry for 15 minutes. Do not force dry .
(c) Spray area with dye developer.
(d) Check for cracks.
(2) Check threaded heli-coils and holes for thread damage.
(3) Mark holes and heli-coils for repair.
(4) Check screen for broken mesh.
(5) Mark screen for replacement if damaged.
3-54. REPAIR OIL PAN
a. Repair oil pan.
(1) Determine hole size.
Instructions for use of heli-coil kit are contained inside kit cover.
(2) Using heli-coil kit, extract damaged heli-coil.
(3) Condition hole and insert new heli-coil.
(4) Bend installation tip of heli-coil toward center then back toward side of hole to break off tip.
b. Repair oil pan cracks.
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO WELD FINISHED SURFACES.
(1) Repair small cracks by heli-arc welding.
(2) Discard pan if cracks are lon g or are found in finished surfaces.
Change 1 3-241