OVER-EXPANDING A PISTON RING CAN CAUSE DISTORTIONS WHICH COULD
LEAD TO RING FAILURE AND ENGINE DAMAGE.
(1) With word "TOP" on oil control ring facing upward, set new ring in ST-763 ring expander.
(2) Expand ring only enough to slide over piston into lower groove.
(3) Slide ring in position. Be sure ring face is flush with ring land.
(4) Remove ring expander and install remaining new rings.
(5) Stagger ring gap so they are not in line with each other or with piston pin.
(6) Rotate cylinder block to vertical position.
(7) Rotate crankshaft so that crankshaft throw for connecting rod and piston being inserted is at bottom center
(8) Remove connecting rod cap. Keep cap with its mated connecting rod.
(9) Lubricate liner with engine oil.
(10) Dip piston and ring assembly in engine oil.
(11) Slide 3375162 piston ring compressor over rings and compress rings.
(12) Coat connecting rod bearing upper half with engine oil.
(13) Install rod bearing upper half on connecting rod assembly.
(14) Lubricate and install lower rod bearing half into rod cap.
Change 1 3-407