g. Measure crankshaft gear to camshaft gear backlash.
(1) Screw stud into tapped hole above camshaft timing gear.
(2) Secure dial indicator to stud. Position indicator pin against face of tooth on gear.
(3) Rotate camshaft gear as far as it will move to the right.
(4) While holding gear in place, zero dial indicator.
(5) Rotate gear in opposite direction until it stops.
(6) Read indication. Normal backlash is 0.0045 to 0.0105 in. (0.1143 to 0.2667 mm) on a new gear. Minimum
backlash is 0.002 in. (0.05 mm).
(7) Gears will rattle if backlash exceeds 0.010 in. (0.254 mm). If noise is not objectionable, continue gears in
(8) If backlash exceeds 0.020 in. (0.508 mm), replace both gears.