2-39. WATER CROSSOVER REPAIR
This task covers:
General mechanics tool kit:
automotive (Appendix E, Item 1)
Water crossover gasket (Appendix D, Item 19)
Pipe sealing compound (Appendix B, Item 17)
In some cases, flanged head fasteners maybe present instead of
standard fasteners and washers. In all cases, washers should be
used when replacing a flanged head fastener with a standard
1. Remove capscrew (6), stud (5), two washers (4), water outlet (7), thermostat (9), and gasket (8) from
water crossover (11). Discard gasket (8).
Only perform steps 2 through 4 if replacing water crossover or
2. Remove glow plug controller (1).
3. Remove temperature switch (3).
4. Remove de-airation nipple (2), bypass hose nipple (10), and heater hose nipple (12) from water
Clean all components in accordance with para. 2-9.
For general inspection instructions, refer to para. 2-10.
1. Inspect water crossover (11) and water outlet (7) for damage. Replace if damaged.
2. Inspect all threaded holes in water crossover (11) for thread damage. Replace if threads are
3. Inspect heater hose nipple (12), de-airation nipple (2), and bypass hose nipple (10) for damage.
Replace if damaged.
4. Inspect glow plug controller (1), thermostat (9), and temperature switch (3) for damage. Replace