2-17. CRANKSHAFT REPAIR
This task covers:
General mechanics tool kit:
automotive (Appendix E, Item 1)
Micrometer (Appendix E, Item 16)
Abrasive crocus cloth (Appendix B, Item 5)
1. Clean all drilled oil passages (5) with a rod and cloth.
2. Refer to para. 2-9 for additional cleaning information.
For general inspection instructions, refer to para. 2-10.
1. Inspect crankshaft (1) for scratches, nicks, and cracks. Replace if scratched, nicked, or cracked.
2. Check main bearing journals (4) and connecting rod journals (6) for taper, out-of-round, and
diameter using an outside micrometer. Replace crankshaft (1) if any bearing journal is tapered,
out-of-round, or out of specifications (table 2-2 or 2-3).
3. Inspect rear seal area (3) for roughness, scoring, grooving, flaking, pitting, and galling. Replace
crankshaft (1) if rough, scored, grooved, flaked, pitted, or galled.
4. Inspect threaded holes (2) and (7) in crankshaft (1) for damage. Replace crankshaft (1) if threads
Buff all minor nicks and scratches using abrasive crocus cloth.