2-27. OIL PUMP REPAIR
This task covers:
General mechanics tool kit:
automotive (Appendix E, Item 1)
Hammer, soft head (Appendix E, Item 30)
Lubricating oil, OE/HDO (Appendix B,
1. Remove shaft extension (10) and coupling (9) from pump body (8).
2. Remove four capscrews (3) and pump cover (5) from pump body (8).
3. Mark drive gear (7) and idler gear (6) for assembly and remove.
4. Remove retaining pin (4), regulator spring (l), and pressure regulator valve (2).
Clean all components in accordance with para. 2-9.
l For general inspection instructions, refer to para. 2-10.
l Pump body, pump cover, and pump gears are not serviced
separately. If any of these parts require replacement, replace
entire oil pump.
1. Inspect pump body (8) and pump cover (5) for damage. Replace oil pump if damaged.
2. Inspect drive gear (7) and idler gear (6) for damage. Replace oil pump if damaged.
3. Inspect regulator valve (2) for scoring or nicks. Replace if scored or nicked.
4. Inspect regulator spring (1) for damage. Replace if damaged.
5. Inspect shaft extension (10) and coupling (9) for damage. Replace if damaged.