ARMY TM 9-2815-259-24
AIR FORCE TO 38G1-125-2
MARINE CORPS 09249A/09246A-24
When installing regulator assembly (8) exercise caution not to damage
service brush set (13).
(8) Install regulator assembly (8) and suppression capacitor (11) on slip ring end housing (5).
Connect lead to positive terminal.
(9) Install terminal part set (12) to slipring end housing (5) and through bolts (10) to drive end
(10) Install pulley and fan to rotor assembly (3) shaft.
(1) Remove starter, refer to paragraph 3.9.2.
(2) Turn overrunning clutch drive (17, Figure 4-10) clockwise by hand. Pinion should turn freely.
(3) Turn pinion counterclockwise. A definite resistance should be felt. If clutch assembly is
defective, disassemble the starter clutch.
(4) If armature turns freely and the clutch is not defective, test the starter under no-load conditions.
Never operate starter longer than 30 seconds. Allow at least two minutes
for cooling and battery recovery before operating again. Overheating,
caused by excessive operation, will seriously damage starter.
(5) Connect a 24 VDC source (A) to starter battery terminal (B) and starter frame (C) as shown.
Use heavy duty cables, refer to Figure 4-9.
(6) Connect a remote start switch (D) between switch terminal (E) and battery terminal (B).
(7) When switch is activated, starter should engage and run.