ARMY TM 9-2815-259-24
AIR FORCE TO 38G1-125-2
MARINE CORPS 09249A/09246A-24
Observe and record total indicator reading. Bearing clearance should be 0.003 - 0.007 in.
(0.08 - 0.18 mm). Replace turbocharger, refer to step d, if bearing clearance is out of
(4) Perform axial bearing end play test as follows:
Mount base dial indicator so that indicator tip rests on end of shaft. Preload indicator tip
and zero dial on indicator. Refer to Figure 4-38.
(b) Move shaft back and forth by hand. Refer to Figure 4-38.
Observe and record total indicator reading. Bearing end play should be 0.001 - 0.004 in.
(0.025 - 0.102 mm). Replace turbocharger, refer to step d, if bearing end play is out of
(5) Install turbocharger, refer to step e.
If turbocharger failed because of foreign material entering the air intake
system, be sure to examine the system and clean as required to prevent a
Do not spin the rotor assembly with compressed air. Damage to the
bearings can occur when using compressed air.
(1) Remove all covering installed during step a (7).
(2) Ensure all old gasket material is removed from gasket surfaces.
(3) Prelube turbocharger: Fill center housing of turbocharger (12, Figure 4-36) with new engine
lubricating oil through oil drain hole. Turn rotating assembly of turbocharger by hand to
(4) Position gasket (13) and turbocharger (12) on exhaust manifold. Install capscrews (10) and
tighten to 52 lb-ft (70 Nm).
(5) Position gasket (9) and oil return pipe (5) on turbocharger (12). Install capscrews (4 and torque
to 26 lb-ft (35 Nm).