ARMY TM 9-2815-259-24
AIR FORCE TO 38G1-125-2
MARINE CORPS 09249A/09246A-24
Support studs must be loosened sequentially, a little at a time, to prevent
warping of shaft.
(2) Remove support studs (5, Figure 4-48), washers (6) and remainder of rocker arm assembly.
(3) Remove push rods (11) and tag push rods as to their location.
(4) Cover all openings to prevent entry of foreign material.
For valve adjustment, refer to paragraph 4.7.2.
(1) Remove rocker arm assembly (refer to step a.) and place on a suitable workbench.
Note locations and tag parts as they are removed.
(2) Remove end plugs (1, Figure 4-48), washers (3), rocker arms (9), supports (7) and springs (4)
from rocker arm shaft (2). Discard end plugs.
Cleaning solvent is flammable and toxic to eyes, skin, and respiratory tract.
Skin/eye protection required. Avoid repeated/prolonged contact. Provide
adequate ventilation. Failure to comply could result in serious injury or
Compressed air used for cleaning can create airborne particles that may
enter the eyes. Never exceed 30 psi (207 kPa) of pressure. Eye protection
required. Failure to comply could result in serious eye damage or
(3) Thoroughly clean all rocker arm assembly components and push rods (11, Figure 4-48) with dry
cleaning solvent (P-D-680). Dry with compressed air.
(4) Inspect parts for cracks or obvious signs of damage. Replace as necessary.
(5) Measure springs (4) with spring tester (DO1168AA) by applying force to spring until spring is
compressed to a length of 1.81 in. (46 mm). Spring tension should be 4 - 6 lbs. (18 - 27 N).
Replace any spring not within specifications.