ARMY TM 9-2815-259-24
AIR FORCE TO 38G1-125-2
MARINE CORPS 09249A/09246A-24
(1) Remove timing gear cover, refer to 4.9.2.a.
(2) Inspect timing gear cover, refer to 4.9.2.b. Replace if damaged.
(3) For installation, refer to 4.9.2.d.
(1) Remove all covering installed during 4.9.2.a (11).
(2) Insure all gasket material is removed from sealing surfaces.
(3) Position gasket (1, Figure 4-63) and timing gear cover (2) on front plate and install bolts (5, 6,
10, and 17) and stud nuts (16). Torque bolts and stud nuts to 26 lb-ft (35 Nm).
(4) Install oil pressure regulating valve assembly, refer to paragraph 4.5.2.
(5) Install adjustable fan drive assembly and fan pulley, as follows
(a) Install fan pulley (2, Figure 4-61). Install bolts (1). Ensure bolts are installed in positions
as marked in paragraph 4.9.2 (a) step 5. to assure proper belt tension.
(b) Install belt, refer to TM 9-6115-671-14.
(6) Install water pump, if removed, refer to paragraph 3.8.3.
(7) Install water pump tube to water manifold cover, refer to paragraph 3.8.2.
(8) Install oil pan, refer to paragraph 4.5.3.
(9) Install crankshaft front wear sleeve as follows:
(a) Coat inner diameter of new wear sleeve with LOCTITE 680 Retaining Compound.
(b) Position wear sleeve on nose of crankshaft with flange of crankshaft front wear sleeve
(c) Position (JDG954-1) installation tool over crankshaft front wear sleeve. Install crankshaft
front wear sleeve until tool bottoms against nose of crankshaft, using a dead blow hammer.
(d) Clean any sealant from outer diameter of crankshaft flange and wear sleeve.
(10) Install crankshaft front oil seal as follows:
(a) Inspect and clean seal bore in timing gear cover. Check for nicks or burrs. Use medium
grit emery cloth to smooth rough areas.
(b) Clean outer diameter of crankshaft and wear sleeve with solvent (Appendix E) or ignition
cleaner and allow to dry.