ARMY TM 9-2815-259-24
AIR FORCE TO 38G1-125-2
MARINE CORPS 09249A/09246A-24
Inspect push rods. If push rods are bent or show excessive scuffing, cylinder head must be
removed for inspection of cylinder block, cylinder head, and camshaft followers, refer to
Remove timing gear cover, refer to paragraph 4.9.2.
Remove fuel supply pump, refer to paragraph 3.12.3.
(10) Rotate engine gear train using Flywheel Turning Tool (JDG820) until bolts (6, Figure 5-61) behind
camshaft gear (4) can be removed. Remove bolts.
(11) Mark camshaft gear teeth and idler gear teeth with timing marks using white paint to insure proper
positioning of camshaft during installation.
If camshaft is going to be replaced with new camshaft, cylinder head must
be removed and camshaft followers must be replaced.
(12) Remove cylinder head, if necessary, refer to paragraph 4.7.4.
(13) If cylinder head has been removed, tag and remove camshaft followers and fuel supply pump
Engine must remain in a position where camshaft followers rest against
cylinder head and do not fall into engine crankcase. If camshaft followers
fall into crankcase, cylinder head removal is required.
(14) If cylinder head has not been removed, revolve engine on rotating repair stand until camshaft
followers (2, Figure 5-61) and fuel supply pump activator pin falls away from camshaft lobes.
Do not allow camshaft lobes to drag in bushing or honed bores. Failure to
comply could result in damage to camshaft, camshaft bushing, or camshaft
Rotate camshaft carefully to aid in removal.
(15) Pull camshaft (1) straight up, out of cylinder block.
(16) Remove thrust plate (3, Figure 5-61) from camshaft.