ARMY TM 9-2815-259-24
AIR FORCE TO 38G1-125-2
MARINE CORPS 09249A/09246A-24
Do not allow camshaft lobes to drag in bushing or honed bores. Failure to
comply could result in damage to camshaft, camshaft bushing, or camshaft
(7) Carefully position camshaft and thrust plate in cylinder block. Rotate camshaft during installation
to avoid obstruction in any bore. Install thrust plate capscrews (6, Figure 5-61) and tighten to 26
lb-ft (35 Nm).
(8) Remove upper idler gear if not removed. Refer to paragraph 5.4.2.
(9) Time the camshaft as follows:
With timing tool (JD254A) resting on nose of crankshaft and center of camshaft, turn
camshaft until timing mark on camshaft gear aligns with timing tool.
Check injection pump gear timing with timing tool (JD254A) resting on nose of crankshaft
and center of injection pump shaft. Timing mark (SD4 for 4 cylinder) on injection pump
drive gear must align with timing tool.
(10) If removed, reinstall upper idler gear. Refer to paragraph 5.4.2.
(11) Install fuel supply pump, refer to paragraph 3.12.3.
(12) If cylinder head has been removed, install camshaft followers, fuel supply pump activator pin, and
cylinder head, refer to paragraph 4.7.4.
(13) Install push rods and rocker arm assembly, refer to paragraph 4.7.3.
(14) Adjust valve clearance, refer to paragraph 4.7.2.
(15) Install rocker arm cover, refer to paragraph 4.7.1.
(16) Install timing gear cover, refer to paragraph 4.9.2.
(17) Service lubrication system and coolant system, refer to TM 9-6115-671-14.
(18) Install engine, refer to TM 9-6115-671-14.