ARMY TM 9-2815-259-24
AIR FORCE TO 38G1-125-2
MARINE CORPS 09249A/09246A-24
When thrust surfaces are reground and an oversize washer is used,
crankshaft end play specification must be maintained.
(6) If thrust surfaces of crankshaft are worn or grooved excessively, they must be reground and
polished. Care must be taken to maintain specified radius between each thrust surface and bearing
journal. An oversize thrust washer set is available.
(7) Stone edge of all oil holes in journal surfaces smooth to provide a radius of approximately 0.060
inch (1.50 mm).
(8) After grinding has been completed, inspect crankshaft by fluorescent magnetic particle method, or
other similar method to determine if cracks have originated due to grinding operation.
(9) Demagnetize crankshaft.
Cleaning solvent is flammable and toxic to eyes, skin, and respiratory tract.
Skin and eye protection are required. Avoid repeated/ prolonged contact.
Good general ventilation is normally adequate.
Compressed air used for cleaning can create airborne particles that may
enter the eyes. Pressure will not exceed 30 psig (207 kPa). Eye protection
(10) Thoroughly clean crankshaft and oil passages with solvent. Dry with compressed air.
(1) Install gear (8, Figure 5-67) on crankshaft as follows:
Oil fumes or oil can ignite above 380°F (193°C). Use a thermometer and do
not exceed 360°F (182°C). Do not allow a flame or heating element to be in
direct contact with oil. Heat oil in a well ventilated area. Plan a safe
handling procedure to avoid burns. Wear protective clothing, gloves,
Heat gear (8), in oil, to 300°F (148°C).
Install Adapter on nose of crankshaft (7). Tighten capscrews securely.