ARMY TM 9-2815-259-24
AIR FORCE TO 38G1-125-2
MARINE CORPS 09249A/09246A-24
(7) Remove oil pan, refer to paragraph 4.5.3.
(8) Remove oil pump and outlet tube, refer to paragraph 5.4.9.
(9) Mark rods (5, Figure 5-72), pistons (4), and rod caps (2) to insure correct assembly in same
Insure that bearings are kept with same rod caps and rods from which they
are removed. Failure to comply could result in excessive engine wear.
(10) Remove capscrews (1), rod cap (2) and rod cap bearing (3).
Use PLASTIGAGE as directed by the manufacturer. PLASTIGAGE will
determine bearing-to-journal oil clearance, but will not indicate the
condition of either surface.
(11) Measure rod bearing (6) to crankshaft oil clearance using PLASTIGAGE before removing piston
(4) and rod (5). Record measurements. Refer to paragraph 5.4.5.b.2(h).
Hold on to piston to prevent piston from dropping. Piston will drop once
piston rings have cleared cylinder liner. Failure to comply could result in
damage to piston or rod.
Do not allow rod to hit cylinder liner bore when removing piston and rod
assembly. Failure to comply could result in damage to cylinder liner.
(12) Gently tap bottom of piston (4) until piston is clear of cylinder block. Remove piston (4) and rod
(5) assembly. Remove rod bearing (6).
(13) Repeat steps 9-12 for all cylinders.
(14) Cover all openings to prevent entry of foreign material.