ARMY TM 9-2815-259-24
AIR FORCE TO 38G1-125-2
MARINE CORPS 09249A/09246A-24
(7) Time balancer shaft as follows:
Turn right (camshaft side) balancer shaft (14) so timing mark is under. Timing mark on
both balancer shaft gears (11 and 12) must align with centerline of crankshaft when
Install lower idler gear, and without turning balancer shaft, secure gear. Spring pin must
enter hole in washer when it is installed.
Install thrust washer over lower idler gear and shaft. Install capscrew through idler shaft
into threaded leg of oil pump housing, and finger-tighten only.
Turn left (injection pump side) balancer shaft (13) so timing mark is under timing tool
Install oil pump gear. Finger-tighten gear retaining nut.
Recheck gear timing for both balancer shafts (13 and 14).
Torque oil pump drive gear retaining nut to 37 lb-ft (50 Nm). Stake nut to shaft in three
Torque lower idler gear capscrew to 59 lb-ft (80 Nm).
(8) Install timing gear cover. Refer to paragraph 4.9.2.
5.4.8. CYLINDER BLOCK.
The following procedures require complete access to the engine. If
necessary, remove engine from generator set, refer to TM 9-6115-671-14.
Mount engine on repair stand (NSN 4910-01-016-1835 or equal) as outlined
in paragraph 4.10.
(1) If not already performed, mount engine on rotating repair stand. Refer to paragraph 4.10.
(2) Drain coolant and oil. Refer to TM 9-6115-671-14.
(3) Remove fan belts. Refer to TM 9-6115-671-14.
(4) Remove alternator, refer to paragraph 3.9.1.
(5) Remove turbocharger, refer to paragraph 4.4.1.
(6) Remove exhaust manifold, refer to paragraph 4.4.3.