ARMY TM 9-2815-259-24
AIR FORCE TO 38G1-125-2
MARINE CORPS 09249A/09246A-24
The following procedure is provided for repairing the battery charging
alternator. Remove battery charging alternator (refer to paragraph 3.9.1.)
and place on a suitable workbench.
(1) Remove terminal parts set (12, Figure 4-2) from slip ring end housing and through bolts (10)
from drive end housing (1).
(2) Remove two attaching bolts (16) from regulator assembly (8).
(3) Remove attaching bolt from suppression capacitor (11).
When removing regulator assembly (8), exercise caution not to damage
service brush set (13)
(4) Remove regulator assembly (8) and suppression capacitor (11) from slipring end housing (5).
Do not insert screwdriver blades deeper than 1/16 inch (1.587 mm) to avoid
damaging stator winding.
(5) Match mark front and rear housing. Insert two flat tip screwdrivers in opposite openings
between stator (9) and slip ring end housing (5), refer to Figure 4-3.
(6) Pry units apart and remove slip ring end housing (5) and stator (9) from drive end housing (1).
(7) Tag and remove stator (9) leads from rectifier (6).
(8) Remove bolts (16) and rectifier (6) from slip ring end housing (5).
(9) If not previously done, remove pulley and fan from rotor assembly (3, Figure 4-2) shaft.
(10) Using arbor press, remove rotor assembly (3) from drive end housing (1).
(11) Remove bearing retaining screws and press bearing (2) from drive end housing (1).
(12) Remove bearing (4) from rotor assembly (3).
(13) Check or replace brush assembly as follows;
(a) Refer to Figure 4-4 and check measurement A. If dimension A is less than 0.2 in.
(5mm), replace the brush assembly. When the new brush assembly is installed the new
dimension A should not exceed 0.4 in. (10mm).
(b) Always replace the bearing (4) when replacing the brush assembly.