(2) Slowly release pressure on cover (1) to allow stop spring to expand and remove control valve outer spring
(3) Remove control valve inner spring (23).
(4) Remove control valve (21) with pliers.
(5) Matchmark position of spring retainer to control valve, and remove retainer, retainer spring, and ball check
valve from control valve.
b. Remove solenoid valve assembly.
(1) Detach solenoid elec trical harness (3) from brake housing connector terminal (10).
(2) Install solenoid wrench no. 011494 and remove solenoid valve assembly (4).
(3) Remove upper seal ring (5) and center seal ring (6) from solenoid valve.
(4) Remove lower seal ring (7) from brake housing.
c. Remove slave piston adjusting setscrew (9) and locknut (8).
d. Turn retarder housing over so that bottom is facing upward.
e. Remove slave piston.
SLAVE PISTON IS RETAINED BY SPRING UNDER HEAVY COMPRESSION.
PROGRESSIVE SPRING EXPANSION MUST OCCUR TO PREVENT RAPID
DISCHARGE OF SPRING WHICH COULD CAUSE PERSONAL INJURY.
(1) Using a C-clamp and deep socket, relieve tension on retaining ring (15) by applying force to slave piston
(2) Remove retaining ring (15), C-clamp and deep socket.
(3) Remove piston retainer (16), spring (17), and slave piston (18) from housing.
f. Remove master piston.
(1) Remove master piston retaining screw (14), washer (13), and master piston spring (12).
(2) Remove master piston (11).
g. Remove terminal (10) from brake housing.
3-258 Change 1