3-2. CLEANING AND GENERAL REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS (Cont)
(c) Remove and replace studs as outlined in (d and e) below.
1. Using stud extractor, back studs out slowly to avoid heating and possible seizure.
2. When studs are broken off too short to use stud extractor, drill stud and extract with
an easy out remover.
3. Short studs may also be removed by welding a bar or nut to stud and removing with
1. Only standard studs are supplied for replacement in steel or cast iron castings.
2. Unless threads in casting are damaged beyond repair, use standard studs.
3. If threaded openings are damaged and retapping will not clean up threads, drill and
tap opening in casting and install a threaded insert.
Studs may have a coarse thread on one end and a fine thread on the other end. The
coarse threads on both ends are used in particular applications and normally the short
threaded end is in the aluminum casting. All replacement studs have a special coating
and must have a small amount of mica-base antiseize compound (MIL-A-13881)
applied on the threads before the studs are installed in casting. Thread replacement
stud into opening slowly to prevent overheating.
(a) Replace all gears that are cracked, worn, pitted, galled or do not conform to tolerances
specified in repair standards in App G.
(b) Remove sharp fins and burrs from gear teeth with crocus cloth dipped in cleaning
(6) Bushing and Bushing Type Bearings. When bushings and bushing type bearings are
damaged or worn beyond specified limits (App G), generally associated parts must also be
replaced. Reference to (a) and (b) below will be made in Chapters 4 thru 7 for the particular
part in which replacement of bushings and bushing type bearings is required.
(a) Removal. Remove bushing and bushing type bearings by pressing out with a suitable
arbor press or with special tools provided. (Refer to App B for listing of special tools and
1. Aline bushings or bushing type bearings in casting or retaining cage.
2. Press into place with arbor press or with the special tools provided.
3. Clean repaired parts thoroughly before assembly or installation.