STARTER DRIVE MECHANISM REPAIR
1. Press spur gear shaft (7) from bearing housing (16), using an arbor press (item 8, WP 0176).
2. Remove plain encased seal (19) from bearing housing (16). Discard seal.
3. Check bearing (20) on each end of gear shaft (7).
a. Look for broken, cracked or split rings, cracked, broken or loose separators, heat
discoloration (brown-blue or blue-black color). Rotate the free race slowly and feel for
roughness. If any of these conditions exists, the bearing must be replaced.
b. If either bearing needs replacement, go to step 4. If both bearings are OK, go to step 5.
Because the force used to press the bearing from the gear is through
the individual balls and not the race, the bearing is destroyed when it
is removed. Do not use bearing once it has been pressed from the
4. Press ball bearings (20) from spur gear shaft (7) using an arbor press.
Retaining rings are spring loaded.
5. Remove retaining ring (21) from idler spur gear (9). Discard retaining ring.
6. Using an arbor press, remove ball bearing (22) from spur gear (9).
WP 0157 00-5