3-71. ASSEMBLE ENGINE BRAKE ASSEMBLY
a. Install master piston.
ENSURE THAT ALL BORES IN BRAKE HOUSING ARE CLEAN BEFORE PISTONS
AND VALVE ARE INSTALLED.
(1) Lubricate exterior of master piston (11) with engine oil and insert piston into brake housing (20).
(2) Position master piston spring (12) with concave part of spring toward piston and spring centered on turned
boss on top of piston.
(3) Secure spring (12) with washer (13) and capscrew (14).
b. Install slave piston..
(1) Insert slave piston (18) into its bore. Place spring (17) and piston retainer (16) into slave piston.
(2) With C-clamp and deep socket acting against piston (18) and piston retainer (16), tighten C-clamp to
compress spring and retainer (16) in position.
ENSURE THAT RETAINING RING IS PROPERLY SEATED IN BRAKE HOUSING.
IMPROPER SEATING COULD CAUSE EJECTION OF SPRING AND POSSIBLE
(3) Position retaining ring (15) in groove of brake housing and remove C-clamp and socket.
(4) Install slave piston adjusting setscrew (9) and locknut (8).