ARMY TM 9-2815-252-24
AIR FORCE TO 38G1-92-2
a. Using standard valve spring compressor tool install each valve (15 or 16, FIGURE 3-28) as follows:
(1) Lightly lubricate valve stem with engine lubricating oil (MIL-L-2104) and insert valve (15 or 16).
(2) Lay head (6), upright on bench and place a block of wood under head of valve being replaced.
(3) Place valve spring plate (21) in position.
(4) Install a new valve stem seal (20) to valve guide (22) taking care to ensure it is correctly located over
valve guide and is not distorted.
(5) Install valve spring (19) and spring carrier (18).
(6) Push down on tool until collets (17) can be installed in position with their tops slightly sunk in valve spring
(7) Gently release tool and check that collets (17) are correctly located.
b. If removed, install capscrew (13), washer (14), and breather tubes (23).
3-27.6. Installation. When installing cylinder head, valve to piston contact can be avoided by waiting for up to 45
minutes for lubricating oil to bleed down.
Removal of any part of the valve gear will allow the hydraulic tappet to extend and hydraulically
Ensure that no piston is at TDC when replacing head. Failure to follow this procedure could
cause misalignment of the head.
When new tappets have been installed, the engine must be cranked for at least 15 seconds
before attempting to start it.
a. Ensure cylinder head (6, FIGURE 3-28) and crankcase mating surfaces are clean and dry.
b. Install hydraulic tappets (11) (solid end first) and new washers (10) in crankcase.
c. Install new pushrod seal (12) in cylinder head (6) and new pushrod seal (9) in crankcase.
Seal (12) has a lip on one side and seal (9) has no lip.
d. Lightly coat bore of seals (9 and 12) with general purpose grease (630AA).
Use extreme care to ensure pushrod tubes (8) are centered and fully installed in seals (9).
Misalignment of pushrod tubes can cause serious damage to seals.
e. Install pushrod tubes (8) into crankcase.
f. Install cylinder head guide studs in opposite corners of engine block deck.
If old head gasket size is not known, perform Check Cylinder Head Clearance, refer to paragraph