ARMY TM 9-2815-259-24
AIR FORCE TO 38G1-125-2
MARINE CORPS 09249A/09246A-24
(b) Mark bolt positions (B) on timing gear cover before removal to assure that fan pulley is
installed in same position as removed and assure proper belt tension.
(6) Remove hub and fan drive (3).
(7) Remove crankshaft pulley, refer to paragraph 4.9.1.
(8) Remove water pump tube from water manifold cover, refer to paragraph 3.8.2.
(9) Remove oil pan, refer to paragraph 4.5.3.
(10) Remove oil pressure regulating valve plug, refer to paragraph 4.5.2.
(11) Remove bolts (5, 6, 10, and 17, Figure 4-63), stud nuts (16), timing gear cover, and gasket.
(12) Cover all openings to prevent entry of foreign material.
(1) Remove timing gear cover, refer to 4.9.2.a.
(2) Remove oil seal (11, Figure 4-63).
Cleaning solvent is flammable and toxic to eyes, skin, and respiratory tract.
Skin/eye protection required. Avoid repeated/prolonged contact. Provide
adequate ventilation. Failure to comply could result in serious injury or
Compressed air used for cleaning can create airborne particles that may
enter the eyes. Never exceed 30 psi (207 kPa) of pressure. Eye protection
required. Failure to comply could result in serious eye damage or
(3) Thoroughly clean timing gear cover in solvent. Dry with compressed air.
(4) Inspect timing gear cover for cracks or other damage. Replace as required.
(5) Inspect front crankshaft oil seal bore for nicks. Repair or replace as required.
(6) Install timing gear cover, refer to 4.9.2.d.