ARMY TM 9-2815-259-24
AIR FORCE TO 38G1-125-2
MARINE CORPS 09249A/09246A-24
(6) Inspect rocker arm shaft (2) for severe scratching, scoring, or excessive wear at points of rocker
arm contact. Roll rocker arm shaft on a flat surface to check for bends or distortion. Replace as
(7) Measure outer diameter of rocker arm shaft (2) with outer diameter micrometer. Rocker arm
shaft outer diameter should be 0.787 - 0.788 in. (19.99 - 20.02 mm). Replace rocker arm shaft if
not within specifications.
(8) Measure inner diameter of supports (7) with inner diameter micrometer. Support inner diameter
should be 0.794 in. (20.17 mm) maximum. Replace any support not within specifications.
(9) Inspect adjusting screw on rocker arm (9) and jam nut (8) for damage. Visually inspect rocker
arm for hairline cracks. Replace as necessary.
(10) Inspect for cups or concave wear on ends of rocker arms (9) where rocker arms contact valve
tips. If wear exists, replace rocker arm.
(11) Measure inner diameter of rocker arm (9) bore with inner diameter micrometer. Rocker arm
bore inner diameter should be 0.790 - 0.792 in. (20.07 - 20.12 mm). Replace any rocker arm not
(12) Inspect push rods (11) for wear, damage, or physical distortion. Roll push rods on a flat surface
to check for bends or distortion. Replace as necessary.
(13) For assembly, lubricate outer diameter of rocker arm shaft (2, Figure 4-48), bores of rocker arms
(9) and supports (7) with clean engine lubricating oil (MIL-L-2104).
Oil supply hole on rocker arm shaft must be toward flywheel end of engine.
Failure to comply could result in damage to engine.
Assemble parts in same locations from which they were removed.
(14) Position rocker arms (9), supports (7), springs (4) and washers (3) on rocker arm shaft (2).
Install new end plugs (1). End plugs must be firmly seated against end of shaft.
(1) Remove rocker arm assembly, refer to step a.
(2) Perform repair procedures, refer to step c. Replace any components that are not within
(3) For installation, refer to step e.