ARMY TM 9-2815-259-24
AIR FORCE TO 38G1-125-2
MARINE CORPS 09249A/09246A-24
Do not remove seal and wear sleeve assembly from plastic bag until
immediately before installing. Failure to comply could result in dirt
contamination and premature seal failure.
(3) Use slots in Seal and Wear Sleeve Remover as a template and mark three locations on seal
casing where screws should be installed for removal purposes. Remove tool from crankshaft
Holes must be drilled at outer edge of seal case so screws will pull seal
against wear ring and allow both pieces to be removed.
(4) Drill a 5/32 in. hole through wear sleeve lip and seal casing at all three marked locations.
(5) Position Seal and Wear Sleeve Remover on end of crankshaft.
(6) Install three 2 in. sheet metal screws (2, Figure 4-57) with washers into slots of removal tool and
thread screws into holes in seal casing. Evenly tighten screws until plate is flush with rear face
(7) Tighten forcing screw until seal and wear sleeve assembly is removed from engine.
(8) Discard seal and wear sleeve assembly.
(9) Cover all openings to prevent entry of foreign material.
Cleaning solvent is flammable and toxic to eyes, skin, and respiratory tract.
Skin and eye protection are required. Avoid repeated/prolonged contact.
Provide adequate ventilation. Failure to comply could result in serious
injury or death.
(1) Thoroughly clean outer diameter of crankshaft flange and inner diameter of flywheel housing
with cleaning solvent. Refer to paragraph 4.8.3.d.
(2) Inspect wear ring surface and bore in flywheel housing for nicks or burrs. Remove nicks or
burrs with polishing cloth, as required.
(3) Inspect flywheel seal base, refer to paragraph 4.8.3.d(7).
The rear crankshaft oil seal must be replaced if any liquid is present during visual inspection. Refer
to 4.8.2.a for removal and 4.8.2.d for installation.