ARMY TM 9-2815-259-24
AIR FORCE TO 38G1-125-2
MARINE CORPS 09249A/09246A-24
(1) Remove all covering installed during 4.8.2.a (9).
(2) Clean outer diameter of crankshaft flange and inner diameter of wear sleeve with cleaning
solvent (Appendix E). Apply light coating of retaining compound (Appendix E) completely
around leading edge of crankshaft flange. Wipe away sealant that may have gotten on flywheel
housing seal bore.
(3) Install Pilot on end of crankshaft using two socket head capscrews (Figure 4-58). Tighten both
capscrews until capscrews touch base of pilot. Loosen capscrews 2 turn.
(4) Install driver over pilot until driver cross plate bottoms on pilot (Figure 4-58). If necessary, lift
up on pilot to install driver to full depth over pilot and crankshaft flange.
(5) Tighten pilot socket head capscrews securely. Remove driver from pilot.
FIGURE 4-58 REAR CRANKSHAFT OIL SEAL INSTALLATION
Oil seal and wear sleeve are assembled. Do not separate. Failure to comply
could result in damage to seal and loss of engine oil.
(6) Carefully inspect new oil seal and wear sleeve assembly. Discard and replace if seal is scratched
or gouged, or if any liquid is present.
(7) Carefully slide oil seal and wear sleeve over pilot and crankshaft flange with open side of seal